Powered By Blogger

Monday, May 4, 2009

Chocolate Mint Cacao Nib Pie




















I don't like to pat myself on the back too often, but this pie is out of this world. I can't tell you how many times I've heard "this is the best pie I've ever had!" And, to be honest, I can't help but agree. This is my favorite pie of all time; one bite of this decadent, chocolaty (but still oh-so-good-for-you) treat and you'll know why. Is it heaven? No; it's pie!

Chocolate Mint Cacao Nib Pie

Mint Chocolate Chip Macaroon Crust:
2 cups shredded coconut
1/2 cup agave
1/2 cup cacao powder
1/6 cup coconut oil
1/2 Tbsp vanilla extract
1/2 Tbsp mint extract
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 Tbsp cacao nibs

In a large mixing bowl combine all ingredients and mix by hand. One the mixture is uniform, press it into a 9 in. glass pie pan to form the crust. Place pie dish in dehydrator on 110 degrees for 4-5 hours. Remove from dehydrator and place in freezer.

Pie Filling:

2 cups cashews
1 cup cacao powder
3/4 cups agave
3/4 cups coconut oil
3/4 cups water
1/2 one large banana
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
1 Tbsp mint extract
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup cacao nibs, divided

Place all ingredients-except half that cacao nibs-in Vita-mix or other high speed blender (it blends easiest if you put all the liquid in first, followed by the dry ingredients). Blend until completely smooth. Now, mix in the remaining cacao nibs by hand. Remove the pie crust from the freezer and pour filling into dish. With a spatula smooth the filling until it is even throughout the pan, dipping your spatula in a bit of water now and again speeds up the process and makes smoothing a bit easier. Sprinkle the top with shredded coconut and then place the pie back in the freezer for an hour or two until firm. Once firm, the pie will keep in the fridge just fine for as long as a couple weeks. It took me two months of making this pie just to get a picture because it was always devoured before I remembered to break out the camera. Best pie ever? I think so, but you decide.

1 comment:

Melanie Stewart said...

Hello Chris! I had my first taste of gourmet raw foods thanks to you today. OMG! SOOOOOOOO good. I had Flautas for my lunch. It was a taste explosion in my mouth! It takes creativity to the next level. I raved about your cusine and the energy burst that I got from it in my blog. Thank you! Do you ever teach classes on how to make these delicious dishes? melaniestewart23@yahoo.com